Colombian Hot Chocolate – where to begin? This tasty beverage is often had for breakfast or an evening snack, alone or accompanied with a hot arepa. After being immersed in the Colombian culture for some time now, I have realized that Arepas and Chocolate go very well together. It is a staple in many house holds.
How to make Colombian Hot Chocolate with Cheese
To make Colombian Hot Chocolate you will need just a few ingredients. 2 cups of Milk, 4 pieces of Colombian Drinking Chocolate and two kitchen gadgets for cooking a “chocolatera” and a “molinillo”. A standard pot and wooden spoon would do the trick. But these tools are quite essential to producing a nice frothy drink.
Gather your ingredients and measure out the milk. Next break apart the chocolate. Usually you want at least one piece of chocolate per cup of milk or drinking cup.
Turn on the burner then pour the milk in the chocolatera and drop in the chocolate pieces. Let the mixture get hot and take the molinillo and place it between the two palms of your hands and move them forward and backwards, spinning the whisk. Keep this on the stove until the chocolate eruption starts. This will be a quick chain of events where it starts to rush towards the top (and sometimes spills!) So as this happens, remove it from the heat. You will want to have a towel or oven mitt handy as the handle is metal and will be scorching hot.
Pour it quick and let it cool. Delicious. Serve it with some arepas and it is a quick snack.
Other ways to have Colombian Hot Chocolate
Colombian hot chocolate is simple, but can be kicked up a few notches. Often times you can find not only plain chocolate bars, but chocolate with cinnamon and sugar or chocolate with cloves.
Not only can you flavor the chocolate, but one of the best ways to possibly experience this tasty beverage is, Colombian Hot Chocolate with Cheese dropped in the cup. – YES, with cheese inside. A few pieces of cheese melting in the bottom creates a delicious salty surprise once you get to the bottom of the glass.
Yummy – steaming hot Chocolate Caliente with 2 Arepas with cheese melting inside. If you want a good recipe for Colombian Arepas de Queso, check out this one and don’t forget to check out Mastering the Arepa for an in depth tutorial on everything you need to know to become an arepa making master!
Do me a favor and please try this Colombian recipe, and let me know how you like Colombian Hot Chocolate with Cheese in the comments. With only two ingredients how can you go wrong? The team over at Virally thought it was quite tasty as well.
Colombian Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 Sticks of Colombian Drinking Chocolate
- 4 Cups of Milk or 2 Cups Milk & 2 Cups Water
- 4 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- Break off 4 Sticks of Colombian Drinking Chocolate and set aside.
- Pour liquid into a Chocolatera and heat on medium high heat.
- Drop in the drinking chocolate and bring to a boil.
- Keep an eye on the liquid and stir occasionally with a molonillo.
- Wait for a volcano of chocolate to erupt to the top of the Chocolatera and immediately remove from the heat.
- Take the molonillo and froth the Chocolate by rubbing your hands together back and forth.
- Pour and drop some Mozzarella cheese into the bottom of the cup.
- Drink immediately and eat with an arepa.